Thursday 16 August 2012

“Maryam” from the Protogospel of St James Part 1


Maryam” from the Protogospel of St James
Part 1
The gospels of the New Testament say very little about events surrounding Jesus' life as an infant and young boy. Just a couple of infancy stories, such as the visit of the magi in Matthew and Jesus as a twelve-year-old in the Temple in Luke. This "lost period" from Jesus' life is the subject of several early gospels, however, including Protogospel of St James, a narrative of the miraculous birth and holy life of Jesus' mother, Mary, leading up to Jesus' own supernatural appearance in the world.
The Protevangelion of James, also sometimes known as the Gospel of James or the Infancy Gospel of James, is generally dated to the 2nd century AD. It is an apocryphal gospel that was widely read but never accepted into the New Testament Canon. This book answers some of the major questions regarding
·         Why was Mary chosen to bear Jesus?
·         How could he be the Son of God if she were not someone special?
·         How was she born?
·         How did she maintain her holiness?
According to this account, Mary herself was born supernaturally, in a way similar to and modeled on the account of the birth of the prophet Samuel in the Hebrew Bible.
This book contains primarily the Annunciation of the Blessed St Mary. I would like elaborate some of the major contents concerning the Annunciation of the blessed St Mary.
Yonakir and Hannah (Joachim and Anne)

·         The day when the children of Israel offered up their gifts at the feast of the Lord God drew near , a man called Reuben stood against Yonakir (Joachim) and said: Because, of the Twelve Tribe of Israel you are one without children, you do not have the right to make offerings before God. Then Yonakir. In great sorrow and mental agony, went to his house.
·         Because Yonakir ‘s Sorrow was great, instead of going to his house or seeing his wife, he went to a forest. He set up a tent there and lived there for forty days and forty night fasting and vowed:’until God turns his glance upon me I shall neither eat nor drink anything; instead of food and drink prayer is sufficient for me.’
·         His wife Hannah was also sorrowing continually that she was living like a widow with out husband and that she was without children
Prayer of Hannah
·         She petitioned the Lord, saying, "God of my ancestors, bless me and hear my prayer, just as you blessed our mother Sarah and gave her son Isaac to her. Saying this she looked up. Seeing a bird’s nest in the tree, she thought about it. With a sigh she spoke again and said: Oh why do I not give birth ? What is it about the womb that has been given me? Of all the children of Israel, I alone have come to deserve curses. Oh me, what am I like? I am not like the birds of the sky, for the birds of the sky are fruitful before you, Lord. Oh me, what am I like? I am not like the domestic animals, for the domestic animals are fruitful before you, Lord. Oh me, what am I like? I am not like the wild animals of the earth, for the wild animals of the earth are fruitful before you, Lord. Oh me, what am I like? I am not like these waters, for these waters are fruitful before you, Lord. Oh me, what am I like? I am not like this earth, for the earth produces its fruit in season and blesses you, Lord.”
Angel of the Lord
·         When she finished saying this , Angel of the Lord has heard your prayer. You will conceive and give birth. Your offspring will become known all over the world.
·         Then Hannah said:
‘Upon the name of our Lord, the child that is born from me , whether it is a boy or a girl, I will give that child to the Lord. Let him stand before the Lord and serve him all the days of his Life’


·         After this the Angel spoke to Yonakir and said :’Yonakir , the Lord has heard your prayer . Leave this place . Your wife Hannah will give birth’.
·         Yonakir then came down from the forest. When Yonakir came back with his flock , Hannah was standing at the door. When she saw him she threw her arms around his neck and said to him: ‘now I know how much my Lord has blessed me. Because I was a widow but now I am not. I was barren and without children. I will give Birth.’
These lines clearly tells us , how the annunciation of our mother took place. After this Hannah conceived and days passed and in the ninth month she gave birth to a baby girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment